Thursday, March 16, 2017

How to create a Pan's Labyrinth-style monster

My obsession with film has had a strong influence on the work I do nowadays. I learned most of what I know about visual language, atmosphere and composition from film.
How to draw and paint - 95 pro tips and tutorials
Pan's Labyrinth director Guillermo del Toro, with his world of eerily beautiful monsters, haunting atmosphere and poetry in both image and narration, showed me what it can look like when you weave your own web of personal mythology and symbolism. So you can imagine my excitement when I was asked to create an homage to his work!
I decided to create a collage of four of del Toro's films: Cronos, The Devil's Backbone, Pan's Labyrinth and Crimson Peak. I'll be working in a mix of acrylic paint, coloured pencils and charcoal, to create an almost monochromatic picture.
Download the resources for this tutorial .
01. Start with research
I watch the films, and take notes on recurrent and defining imagery and ideas. This leads to a messy array of words, phrases and scribbles – the foundation of my concepts. I also take screenshots of scenes that I might need for reference later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment